Dec 13, 2018
Smoking, drinking tea, coffee and alcohol – in addition to tooth decay, tartar and fillings – are only a few reasons why teeth can discolor. East Calder Smile Center offers Tooth whitening service to help you smile confidently.
Tooth whitening can be a very effective way of lightening the natural colour of your teeth without removing any of the tooth surface. It cannot make a complete colour change, but it may lighten the existing shade.
What happens during Tooth whitening?
The dentist will take an impression of your teeth to make a mouth guard with gum reservoirs to protect the gums and tell you how to use it with a bleaching gel. Then, using your mouth guard at home, you regularly apply the gel for a specified period of time usually up to 2 weeks. Some whitening gels can be left on for up to 8 hours at a time, which shortens the treatment period to 1 week.
Laser whitening, also known as power whitening, is another type of Tooth whitening system that a dentist can provide. A bleaching product is painted onto your teeth and then a light or laser is shone on them to activate the whitening. Laser whitening takes about an hour.
Is Tooth whitening permanent?
- Tooth whitening isn’t permanent. It can last from a few months to up to 3 years – it varies from person to person.
- The whitening effect won’t last as long if you smoke or drink red wine, tea or coffee, which can all stain your teeth.
- Tooth whitening don’t work on false teeth, crown, veneers, fillings or dentures.
- It’s good to seek dentist advise whether Tooth whitening is right for you. In some cases, if you have gum disease, or crown it might not suit you.
What are the side effects?
- Some people may find that their teeth become sensitive to cold during or after the treatment. Others may have discomfort in the gums, a sore throat or white patches on the gum line. These symptoms are usually temporary and should disappear within a few days of the treatment finishing.
- If any of these side effects continue you should go to your dentist.
- Tooth Whitening should only be carried out by a dentist or another regulated dental professional, such as a dental hygienist or dental therapist, on the prescription of a dentist.
- If you would like to book an appointment for Tooth whitening or to join East Calder Smile Center you can do so online here. Alternatively call us on 0510 688 1566 today.